These striking photos of Valletta’s Scesa Marina will take you back to a time gone by
It’s a known fact that Malta’s capital was, is and always will be an absolute stunner. Since we’re used to what Valletta looks like today, we can’t help but awe at photos of different areas of the capital many years ago. Today’s spotlight is on the Scesa Marina.
Scesa Marina – more commonly known by locals as It-Telgha ta’ Liesse or Strada Marina – is right outside the city’s fortifications connecting Victoria Gate to the Grand Harbour. Measuring at 160 metres, it’s one of the shortest streets of the capital, yet one of the most bustling ones back in the day.
Antonia Mellors via Nostalgia Malta
The old fish market was situated right by the Lascaris tunnel. Back in the day it was the heart of the street, with many locals coming to select their dinner from the fresh catch of the day. Unfortunately, the market was destroyed to make way for a road leading to Customs House through the tunnel.
The above photo shows a postcard from 1905 that depicts the Scesa Marina in full swing, bustling with activity and what we can imagine was a haggle centre!
It was a significant spot, being one of the only three access points into Valletta during the time of the Kngihts. Apart from the market, countless shops opened their doors and awnings to the many locals flocking to the street to get the very best from the vendors.
Back in 2018, a proposal was passed to restore the shop-front buildings on this hill which were in need of some serious TLC.