Different times! 120-year-old photo shows the tramway passing through Floriana’s main road
They connected the rest of Malta to Valletta and the three cities.
A photo uploaded by the National Library of Malta, shows Malta in different times. The photo depicts the electric tramway passing through Floriana’s main street, a scene which no longer exists today.
The electric tramway was a means for people across other parts of Malta to commute to Valletta and the Harbour area, where employment was largely found.
Such a mode of transport was first introduced in Malta in 1905 but this shot was taken in 1910, almost 120 years ago.
By then, the electric tramway connected Birkirkara, Hamrun, Zebbug and Qormi to Valletta and other towns around the Grand Harbour.
On top of the tramway, the railway that connected Mdina to Valletta was still operating, having started service in 1883.
The tramways were reportedly always busy and full of all kinds of people. There would even be farmers carrying livestock such as rabbits and poultry together with fruit and vegetables that they hoped to sell in Valletta.
They closed by 1929 after the company that operated them went bankrupt with the introduction of buses.