Every country has recognisable traits that make you go, “Ah, they’re from Italy,” for example. Likewise, we’ve also got traits that are unique to this little rock. Apart from being the pastizzi-loving people with hearts of gold, here are 10 of the best things that make us who we are.
The People of Malta / Facebook
1. We’re loud. Like, REALLY loud. Sometimes it seems as though we’re fighting and about to gouge each other’s eyeballs out. But we’re actually only talking about the weather.
2. Your mum asks you at LEAST 20 questions before heading out for the night. “Where are you going? With who? Do you have enough money?” The list goes on
3. You have more than one fridge (and freezer) in the house. Because you need to be stocked up in case of a strike, government shutdown or apocalypse. Obvs!
4. When you hear anyone say ‘Madonna,’ you know they’re not talking about the singer.
5. For Easter you get figolli AND Easter eggs. #GodBlessRuhi
6. The ‘th’ doesn’t exist in our pronunciation. It’s “tank you” and “happy berday.” Don't even try to tell us otherwise.
7. Someone says ‘hello’ and you automatically respond with orrajt (alright) instead of ‘how are you.’
8. When you telling a story, you ALWAYS add some crazy ass stuff to spruce it up. #Drama
9. Your grandparents call Santa Claus ‘Christmas Faaader’ (yes, ‘fader’ not ‘father’ – see point 6 above).
10. The dreaded clapping when a plane lands. You’re bound to find at least one Maltese person on your flight who will annoy the bejesus out of every other passenger if the plane has a smooth landing. And trust your luck, it will.
Bonus: When we need to, we’ll swear. Unashamedly. Using the most colourful words in the Maltese language. You've been warned.