Locals slayed at the first Malta Architecture and Spatial Planning Awards last Saturday
Over the weekend, the Malta Architecture and Spatial Planning Awards (MASP) for 2019 were held, shedding light on some of the great work that architects have done over the course of last year.
The awards, which are under the Distinguished Patronage of His Excellency The President of Malta Dr George Vella, were held at the stunning Casino Maltese in Valletta.
The gorgeous physical award itself was inspired by one of the greatest Maltese architecture of all time: the bastions in the capital. It depicted the golden colour and iconic texture of local limestone that is embedded in Maltese culture, heritage and architecture.
A total of 11 awards were up for grabs on the night, which marked the first edition of awards of this kind. The awards recognise “architectural projects which deliver design excellence, innovative solutions, and a distinct identity,” the Planning Authority stated.
The awards included:
1. MODEL Architects took home the Rehabilitation & Conservation Award.
2. The Urban Design Award was awarded to Studjurban.
3. The Public Open Spaces Award which was given to the team behind the restoration of Valletta's Gnien Laparelli, a collaboration between the Grand Harbour Regeneration Corporation (GHRC) and the Restoration Directorate.
4. Commercial Building Award went to the firm Bezzina&Cole.
5. Michael Pace from Forward Architects won the Interior Architecture Award for Residential Projects.
6. The Interior Architecture Award for Commercial Projects won by Samuel Cassar and Kenneth Zammit Endrich.
7. X,Y,Z Architecture & Design took home the Urban Planning Concept Award.
8. The Hospitality, Tourism Accommodation & Leisure Award was awarded to Forward Architects.
9. MODEL Architects also took home the Sustainability Award.
10. The Emerging Architect Award was awarded to architectural firm Atelier Maison.
11. President’s Award – Built Environment ‘Personality of the Year 2019' was given to Perit Dr Godwin Cassar.