Three cases of the Brazil variant have also been recorded.
Locals in their 40s can begin registering for their COVID-19 jab from Friday, Health Minister Chris Fearne announced.
By the end of the week, Fearne said that 300,000 first doses would have been administered to older groups. The roll-out for those aged between 50 and 59 began just last Saturday (17th April) and over a third have already been given one jab.
"As from Friday, those who are over 40 can register to get the vaccine," Fearne said. Those in the older age groups can of course still sign up if they have not registered with the authorities.
Fearne also noted that three cases of the Brazil variant have also been detected in Malta – all three were imported. “We are studying the situation so that we have a clear picture of what is happening in the community.”
Fearne also noted that the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which was under review by the EMA following blood clots concerns, can now start being administered, with Malta receiving its first batch on Friday. The single-dose jab was previously under investigation but EMA has concluded that “a warning about unusual blood clots with low blood platelets should be added to the product information for COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen,” they said in a statement yesterday.