Perched atop the Grand Harbour, these colonnaded gardens were created in 1661, and were actually the private gardens and exercise grounds of the Knights of the langue of Italy, whose auberges lie very close by. It was only in 1824 that the gardens were opened to the public, and although the place suffered major damages during the second World War, it has now been restored to its full glory, for all those who are willing to visit to enjoy.
The garden terrace promises one of the best views of Malta. An unhindered, panoramic view the only natural harbour in the Mediterranean, with the three cities; Birgu, Senglea and Cospicua as a backdrop. The gardens themselves host a collection of busts, statues and plaques that denote various personalities and other significant events in Maltese history, the most noteworthy being a bronze piece by famous Maltese sculptor, Antonio Sciortino. ‘Les Gavroches‘ depicts three children hurrying forward, with the statue itself signifying the extreme hardships faced by the Maltese population at the turn of the 20th century.