The Saluting Battery is Valletta's ancient ceremonial platform from where gun salutes are still fired. The passage of time is marked twice daily frpm here with gun fire at noon (12:00hrs) and afternoon (16:00hrs). The battery itself is located at one of the capital's highest vantage point from where splendid vistas of the Grand Hrabour and its surrounding towns can be enjoyed. Its origins go back to the time when Valletta was build by the Order of St. John in 1566. In its heyday, its huns not only defended the city and harbour but also greeted visiting dignitaries and ships.
The battery remained in constant use for almost 400 years, under the knights, the French and the British. In 1954 it was closed and its guns were removed. This historic monument has recently been restored to perform all of its original functions. It is shown as it stood in the late 1800s, complete with working connon, artillery stores, gun poweder magazine, historic ordnance collection anda small museum.