Before buses became the main source of public transport, Malta had two travel options: a train and a tram.
Officiated on 23rd February 1905, Malta's tram system ran for almost 25 years before closing down in 1929. Although not as widespread as Malta's railway system, it proved a good connection between Valletta and the Three Cities and Zebbug.
Back in the day, lanyards had not yet been popularized as a source of identification. Instead workers had these fancy brass badges. They date back to 1906 - check 'em out below!
The trams had two decks, sometimes also known as floors. The operator, or driver, would be situated on the lower level and behind him was enough space for 20 passengers to sit comfortably.
There was also ample space for standing passengers, which would mostly comprise of farmers carrying fresh produce and livestock to sell at the Valletta market. Meanwhile, no standing passengers were allowed on the top level due to the overhead electric wires. However, 18 seated passengers could fit in quite nicely.
The tramway shut off service just before Christmas on 15th December 1929. While few, if any, remember the railway in operation, its memory has been beautifully preserved through these photos.