Top tips to keep your dog happy this summer.
Mark Cassar / Barcroft Media
Us Maltese love our pooches, and applaud any situation where our dogs are welcomed with a smile and a fresh bowl of water. Most establishments in Malta are dog friendly; boasting doggy areas and at times, even dog friendly menus. During the summer though, much like us human folk, our four-legged friends enjoy dipping their paws into the cool Mediterranean sea. Although dog owners need to keep up-to-date with the rules and regulations Government has set for paddling pups; there are many dog-friendly beaches around the Maltese coast. But before we get acquainted with the top canine beaches, let’s wrap our heads around the rules.
- Keep the beaches clean - Nobody - pet lovers or pet loathers alike - enjoys stepping into a pile of doggy-do, so be sure to clean up after your dog. Keep some biodegradable bags handy just in case nature calls while you’re on the go.
- Keep your dog on a leash - Even though dogs are welcome to swim unchained, when they’re on their designated beaches it’s law to keep dogs under control and on a lead when they’re out of the water. Mostly to keep them away from bathers enjoying the public beach, but also to keep them away from other dogs.
- Give your dog some water - The summer heat in Malta is scorching at times so keeping your pup hydrated will ensure heatstroke is avoided. There’s nothing funny about an overheated dog. Water, shade and short breaks between water activities will do the trick.
And now for the beaches...
Head to the North of Malta for some of the best views for both you and your canine friend to enjoy.
- Imgiebah Bay, Selmun
- Torri l-Abjad Bay, near Mellieha
- L-Ahrax near the camping site, Mellieha
- Dahlet ix-Xmajjar, Mellieha
For a relaxed vibe, chill in the south. Let your dog splash around while you kick back with a cold beer.
- Rinella Bay, Kalkara
- Zonqor Point, Marsascala
- Il-Maghluq, near Marsaxlokk
- Xatt is-Sajjieda, Marsaxlokk
If you're more accustomed to the central areas, these three spots are the best swimming zones to visit.
- Old Chalet, Sliema
- Tigné Point, Sliema
- Behind Splash and Fun, Bahar ic-Caghaq
Our sister island is magnificent, the beaches are clean and a lot less crowded - your pup will love it. But then again, any excuse to head to Gozo!
- The Coast of Xwejni Bay, Marsalforn
- Ta’ Xejni Area, Marsalforn
- Mgarr ix-Xini, Xewkija
- Triq il-Batterija, Zebbug
Life’s a beach and your dog should enjoy the beautiful Maltese waters as much as you do, just remember to respect the laws; keep your dog cool and try out lots of dog-friendly beaches this summer. With so many spots for your dog to take a dip, there’s no excuse to keep man’s best friend away from the sea. All that’s left to do is head to your destination, pack some water, poo bags and don’t forget the leash!